Friday 17 January 2014

Volcanos and White Tip Reef Sharks

So.... This week I have.....

1....Climbed a volcano....
Sierra Negra is the largest volcano on Isla Isabela with a crater 10km wide. The hike was 16km long to get up to the main crater and also check out a few smaller craters near by. The volcanic landscape is spectacular and it definitely feels like you are on Mars (not that I've been on Mars but you know what I mean....). It was hot and hard work but worth it for the stunning view over the rest of Isabela and her other smaller volcanos. A nice little warm up for the Inca Trail. 

2......Snorkelled with White Tip Reef Sharks....
Los Tunnelles is a snorkelling spot about 40 mins by boat from the port of Isabela. Volcanic lava has formed a strange landscape of rugged tunnels that juts out into the ocean. It's a really beautiful spot and the reason I went there is that White Tip Reef sharks hang out in caves. Yeah they do. You have to dive down to see them in the dark depths of the caves. Then they swam out right underneath me. Very cool. They are quite small, like 4-5 ft, but really gorgeous. And I actually have photos this time! But they are on my camera so I will upload them soon.

3....Hung out on the beach......

4.....Drank beers at sunset.....

5.....Left Isla Isabela *sob* and got the ferry back to Santa Cruz...

6.....Left Santa Cruz and got a taxi, boat, bus and then flight back to Ecuador...(as I left Santa Cruz I saw a Sting Ray off the boat. Cool little goodbye spot)...

So now I'm in Quito waiting for my flight to Lima. The next stop is Cuzco (in the morning) where I have 2 days to acclimatise and get ready for the Inca Trail! Eek! Wish me luck!!! 

(....PS: Add to dream list ~ 4 White Tip Reef sharks, an eagle ray and a sting ray).

Big love xxxxxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment