Sunday 12 January 2014

HELLO HAMMERHEADS

Jeez, that arrow, its kinda powerful. Just when you think things can't get any better... You have one of the most incredible days of your life.

I'm a great believer in fate. And that everything happens for a reason. I find it helps to make sense of most of the crazy mixed up things that happen in life. So I got to Isabella Island yesterday and met a couple of friends who had been diving the day before. The dive was amazing, they saw giant manta rays and hammerheads! Shit, I thought, I need to get in there!! In the restaurant on a table near us there happened to be their dive master who owns the only certified shop on the island. So I go straight over and say that I need to go diving on Monday or Tues as I'm gagging to see hammerheads. But the dive shop was closed all next week! NO!!!! To cut a long (and quite boring) story short I managed to change my plans and set up a dive for Sunday. So fate was definitely involved there somewhere cos if I hadn't been in that restaurant I would of missed out. 


So we set out this morning on a beautifully calm day. Isabella is awesomely stunning, a sting ray swam by us as we got the boat out to the main dive boat and sea lions hung out on all the water taxis docked in the bay. The dive site is called Isla Tortuga and it is actually a volcanic crater that half collapsed in the sea. We dove into the crater mouth on the second dive which was pretty cool. We went down on the first dive and were waiting to head off when 2 giant manta rays swam over us, they must have had about a 20 ft wing span and are massive! And beautiful! WOW!! Then out of the depths I saw my first hammerhead, amazing! Then another! Then I started to run out of air, so I had to go up. But as I swam to the surface another giant manta swam just below me and I could clearly see the markings in its back. 

On the second dive there were about 4 or 5 hammerheads. They are so cool. And pretty big, about 9 ft long. One swam right in front of us, only a couple of meters away it was awesome. How cool is that!! I am beyond stoked!! The only thing I am slightly gutted about is that I didn't get any photos (sorry Leo) as the dive master was too busy finding sharks and no one else had a camera. But it did happen, honest, it wasn't an actual dream! Oh and we also saw 5 white tip reef sharks too. What an incredible day. I will never forget that. Ever.

The Dream list (is hotting up)....

5 x Giant Manta Rays = TICK
Loads of Mobula Manta Rays = TICK
Lots of Sting Rays = TICK
Eagle Ray = TICK
7 x Hammerhead Sharks = TICK
5 x White Tip Reef Sharks = TICK

Oh yeah!! xxxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment