Saturday 4 January 2014

57 hours later... Hello paradise

So I was nearly at the end of my journey.. Only one more flight to go. It was about 2am and I was hanging out at Quitio airport in Ecuador which is brand new and very jazzy. I think I was going a bit nuts by this point, after hardly any sleep. I went to check the flight status and it was only showing as  bloody cancelled!! Nearing hysteria I had a laugh to myself and then thought, shit, what do I do now!!?? When the airline counter finally opened the guy didn't seem remotely concerned and just said to check in anyway as there was another flight I can get... Ok so that's a big relief, I don't know how much longer I could hang out in airports before I totally lose the plot...

The journey:
4 hours Braunton to Heathrow
10 hours Heathrow to Miami
4 hours wait in Miami
5 hours Miami to Lima
16 hour wait in Lima (total loon by this point)
2 hours Lima to Quito
7 hour wait in Quito
3 hours Quito to Galápagos 
PHEW!!!! What a mission.

I met a lovely guy at Quito airport who used to be a diving instructor. He had a transfer sorted once we got to the Galápagos from the airport in Isla Baltra over to Santa Cruz so I jumped in and finally made it to paradise!!! 


So here I am. My hotel is lovely and a total bargain, thanks to Marianella, Emily's lovely friend who sorted it out for me. And you can see Sea Lions and Iguanas hanging out on the rocks from the hotel balcony, bonus! 


After some much needed sleep last night I ventured out to find food this morning.. A girl on the next table had a couple of snorkels so who better to ask where to go snorkelling.?? She turned out to be great and invited me on a boat trip to a beach over the other side of the island this afternoon.. So off I go later to see if I can find any rays..


Tomorrow is shark day. My first dive is at a site good for hammerheads. So fingers crossed they show up for me!

Laters xxxxx 



No comments:

Post a Comment