Monday 6 January 2014

Living the Dream and Puking my Guts up


The wildlife here is incredible, it's like being in an open zoo, it's nuts. We visited El Garrapatero beach on Saturday which is about half an hour from Puerto Ayora where I'm staying. There were about four pelicans hanging out whilst we went swimming. Dive bombing for fish, not remotely bothered by us. Then we realised that there was a flamingo reserve just behind the beach where wild flamingos were hanging out, doing flamingo stuff. On the way back in the taxi we stopped to see my first giant tortoise, she was a small one (still quite big!) and very cute.


Remember the arrow? Well it certainly was true that, despite the set backs, I was about to be propelled into something very spectacular. I went diving with Manta Rays!!! YEP!!! And not just one but loads!!! Oh yeah!!!!

I was pretty nervous before the dive and anxious about remembering everything. I hadn't been for 2 years and that was before my treatment so my body was very different then. But once down there it all fell into place and I remembered how much I loved being down in the under water world. Just like above the water the wildlife is awesome. Hundreds of fish, 2 sea lions whizzed by, 2 huge turtles, oh and a sting ray! Oh yes, a sting ray came and hung out right underneath me for a while! Cool as. 

It was quite early on in the dive when I looked above me and there were 30 or 40 Manta Rays swimming over me. It was awesome. At first I thought I'd imagined it, surely I wasn't going to see that many Mantas on my first dive!!!?? But yep, there they were. Nuts! It's like they knew I was coming!!! Three more swam close by, then later in the dive the huge school swam past us again! Dreams really do come true people!!! (Photos to follow..)


The second dive wasn't quite so successful. In fact it didn't happen at all. It was really rough at the next site and I started to get really sea sick. I got all my equipment on and we were about to go off the boat backwards when I started puking my guts up. Shit bags. I was totally gutted. My group didn't see any sharks luckily, otherwise I would of been beyond sore. Determined not to let this stop me diving I have another dive 2 dives booked in on Thurs. Fingers crossed for no more puking. 

But what an incredible day!!!!! 

Dream list so far....

Manta Rays = TICK
Sting Ray = TICK

Wahooooooo xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment